Saturday, June 27, 2009

In News That Should Never Happen, But Is...

Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen, a movie that currently has a 21% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes (145 Rotten; 38 Fresh) is possibly on track to surpass The Dark Knight in total earnings over a five-day period. TDK earned $203.8 million dollars in five days, and T2 has made $126 million in three days.

Now, I'm not one to let critics decide for me whether or not a movie is good or absolutely, brain-softeningly horrible (I'm a rebel), but, and this is for the general public: I MEAN, COME ON! I have not seen the first movie or the cartoon and I never intended to see this movie, and I can tell it's bad. You know why? 1. Michael Bay is the director (for evidence, see IMDB). 2 Megan Fox, the lone she-wolf of the film, has publicly come out and said "
I don't want to blow smoke up people's ass. People are well aware that this is not a movie about acting." 3. It's a movie about robots. That can turn into things.

Don't get me wrong, I loveee blockbusters. Independence Day, Armageddon, throw 'em at me! But people should not be so desperate this weekend as to give this kind of money to T2 in lieu of other movies that are out. Here's what happens: Explosions, not-long-enough glimpses of Megan Fox, Shia LaBeouf desperately trying to act but failing, robots fighting each other, and then something anti-climactic happens at the end so they can make another movie. The end.

In short, if someone tells you they're going to see T2 this weekend, recommend the Hangover, or Up, or even Terminator: Salvation. Just don't recommend My Sister's Keeper, I have a feeling that it's going to blow all the other movies out of the sky (by slowly drowning them in tears) and make $500 million in five days. Too high, you say? Well even it has a 49% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

No comments: