Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Crush of the Month- January






















To find this month's Crush, I had a battle to the death between two men whose first names start with 'D'. I started watching the Wire this past month, and Dominic West plays the lead character (arguably- there are A LOT of characters) in the brutally realistic drama about corruption in the police and in gangs in Baltimore, Maryland. The part is a beautiful showcase for his acting abilities and for his face, which was woefully hidden behind hair in 300. Dominic was a close second, but the winner had to be the hottest newcomer right now, Mr. Dev Patel.

I saw Slumdog Millionaire in a theater with four other people on December 30th and was quite skeptical. The movie quickly won me over, not just for its great direction and perfect child actors but for the freshness that Dev put into his character Jamal. I have (to my knowledge) never been attracted to an Indian man before (full disclosure: he is British) but for some reason I, along with many other men and women watching the movie, fell for him just as hard as Latika (he reminds me alot of Michael Phelps, but that's a whole other story).

I thought maybe it was a fluke; that I was caught up in the movie experience of Slumdog and was swept into a euphoria because it was such a different kind of movie. So I saw it again, this time in a packed theater in late January. This time I appreciated his performance a bit more, and I have to say the experience itself was jarring- in the first viewing all was silent and in the second there was a collective gasp and then I heard audible sobs when the last question was read. I've never heard people cry from being happy in a theater before, so I was quite excited.

Then I saw Dev at the Golden Globes and the SAG awards, and I thought he was simply adorable and just seemed so happy to be there. Finally, the nail in my crush coffin was seeing him on The Daily Show on February 3rd (interview is on their website
). Despite the fact that he is only 18, he is surprisingly- dare I say- hot. He has an incredibly sexy British accent and has broken my rule of not being attracted to teenagers, or jailbait as I call them. The interview was great, and I sincerely hope he attends the Oscars so his unbridled happiness can melt the frostiness of some of the audience (Gwyneth and Renee, I'm looking at you).



Also, go see Slumdog. Nowish.














Pictures found on Google Images.

No comments: