Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Oscar News: The Night May Be The Death of Me

According to this article from Yahoo! News, Beyonce, Zac Efron & Vanessa Hudgens, Amanda Seyfried & Dominic Cooper (Mamma Mia!) and host Hugh Jackman will all perform a musical number together as directed by Moulin Rouge's Baz Luhrmann.

I understand that the Academy is desperately trying to appeal to younger demographics, but just thinking about how all those voices will sound together makes me have pre-show nausea. I still have nightmares from Beyonce performing all the Best Song nominees several years ago (Her take on a Phantom of the Opera song- even the very idea of it- makes the blood in my ears curdle), and if that did not work why should this?

Plus, the average age of High School Musical fans is tweendom, and why would they care about a stuffy award show anyway. The Academy should at least invite Kanye to perform and be a jackass, because that would at least be interesting if not exactly pertinent to the show. I am still holding out hope that the combination of M.I.A. and AR Rahman will save the day.

No comments: