Thursday, February 19, 2009

My Favorites from the Oscar Ballot

Unlike my previous Oscar picking post, this one is designed to let you know which movies I found most enjoyable out of all the films nominated. So, since Hellboy 2 is nominated for Best Makeup, I could potentially include it on this list (if I had seen it or liked it- and the answer is neither). Basically, I wanted to remove the stuffiness from the Oscar list and pick out the movies that I want to see ten more times and probably buy. So here goes.

6. Vicky Cristina Barcelona: Written and Directed by Wood
y Allen, starring Scarlett Johanssen, Rebecca Hall, Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz
Nominated for Best Supporting Actress

My idea of this film before I saw it was that it would be primarily about Penelope and Scarlett fighting over Bardem, and that it might be cute and sexy but it wouldn't go much beyond that. As soon as Penelope comes onscreen, she hijacks the film away from the cool aloofness that Scarlett brings and the British neurotic that Rebecca plays (she was previously excellent in The Prestige). Penelope brings much needed life and energy to the film, and also amps the sex appeal up from about a six (on a scale of one to ten) to a thirty-two. And this is with the much-heralded make-out scene with Scarlett being much tamer and more lackluster than previously imagined. Even if I were just watching the film for pure aesthetic enjoyment I would love it because everyone looks so beautiful, but the fact that it has a great story and is well acted makes it one of my favorites of the year.

5. In Bruges: Written and Directed by Martin McDonagh, starring Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, and Ralph Fiennes
Nominated for Best Original Screenplay

Wildly inappropriate and pee-your-pants hilarious, In Bruges is about two hitmen (Colin & Brendan- both never better) who are forced by their boss (Ralph) to lay low in Bruges, Belgium, which unfortunately for them is the worst and most boring town in the world, but fortunately for us the more it makes Colin miserable, the funnier it gets. If you love laughing about un-politically correct topics in the privacy of your own home, do yourself a favor and rent In Bruges.

4. The Wrestler- Directed by Darren Aronofsky, starring Mickey Rourke, Evan Rachel Wood and Marisa Tomei

Nominated for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress

Watching Mickey completely invest himself in the character was absolutely addictive, and I felt out of breath after the movie was over because I realized I had been holding my breath worrying for his character and not wanting the movie to end. I'll spare you the rehash of my Best Actor arguments, but let's just say Mickey's so good that at times I forgot Marisa was in the movie. And I really dislike her as an actress.

3. Slumdog Millionaire: Directed by Danny Boyle, starri
ng Dev Patel, Freida Pinto, Anil Kapoor
Nominated for 10 Oscars including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Adapted Screenplay

As with The Wrestler I will happily spare you with more of my nonsensical Slumdog joy, but I will say that even above the movie, its soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard (I can't decide whether it's my favorite- the soundtrack to 24 Hour Party People with Steve Coogan is simply amazing and of course anything with Barbra is pure joy to listen to). I hope they can convince M.I.A. to perform on Sunday, because she is the only one who can deflect the nausea being hurled at me from all directions by Beyonce.

2. Man on Wire: Directed by James Marsh and starring Philippe Petit (as himself)
Nominated for Best Documentary.

Man on Wire is a documentary about Philippe's extraordinary desire to walk a tightrope between the Twin Towers when they were just being built in the 1970s. You'll know very quickly whether you'll like the movie or not because it rests on how you feel about Philippe's personality, as he is (obviously) the focus of the film. It explores his journey via pictures and videotapes of him tightroping during that era, and the time is relived through interviews with him and his co-conspirators with a few re-enactments. I have to say I loved this film so much that I wish it was nominated for Best Picture, and even if someone didn't like the personality of Philippe, it would be a hard and cynical person who could not appreciate some of his feats shown in the movie. On Rotten Tomatoes, the movie has been reviewed by 137 critics and it has a one hundred percent positive rating, so you know I'm not totally lying when I say it's amazing. If you pick one movie from this list or only listen to one thing I write, ever, go rent Man on Wire.

1. The Dark Knight: Directed by Christopher Nolan, starring Christian Bale, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Heath Ledger, Aaron Eckhart, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman. Nominated for 8 Oscars including Makeup, Sound, Editing, Visual Effects, Cinematography, Art Direction, and Best Supporting Actor.

I'll spare you the rehash of my movie review last year, but after seeing it three times on IMAX and once on Blu-ray, I can safely say that it does not get old.

Images found via Google Images.

No comments: